Tuesday, January 22, 2008

nVidia driver 169.09 installed

Well, today I learned how to stop the X server with this command:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm stop

then I ran the installer with:

sudo sh nvidia-file-name.run

then to restart X:

sudo /etc/init.d/gdm start

By the way, gdm stands for "graphical display mamanger" which on my system is the "X" windows manager.

The installer went without a hitch and I now have the 169.09 driver installed, and Compiz-Fusion running just fine. I found no problems with video playback or resolution issues after letting the installer update my xorg.conf file.

Thursday, January 24, 2008

nVidia driver - UPDATE

I rebooted my machine today and was greeted with low graphics mode. I tried everything under the sun to correct the problem (short of reinstalling the 169.09 driver) and nothing I could do worked. I can only guess that I should have removed the older driver versions and disabled the restricted driver from the manager prior to install. If anyone knows the proper way to go about this, then let me know.

Prior to installing the newer drivers, I made a full backup (disk image) using Acronis True Image WS 7.1. The final fix for my driver issue was to restore the disk which had the repository installed restricted driver. Well it seems is back to normal now, but I'd really like to have the newest driver working properly.

I plan to do a clean install and install the new driver before any of the others and see if this cures any issues. If it does, then I'll slowly build my OS (Tweaks / Apps) back to the current state. As this will probably be a long process, I'll only work on it every few days, back it up with Acronis, the restore my current working OS until the new one is fully cooked.

No comments: