Wednesday, July 28, 2010

Gateway Netbook vs. Ubuntu Netbook Edition 10.04


Today I got a new Gateway Netbook for my wife Joy.  The thing was on sale for $50 off, then I got another 20% discount since she is a store employee.  I inspected the packaging (it had been returned) and found it was missing warranty registration and was able to get another 5% discount.  Grand total (drum roll...)  $140ish.

The first order of business was to do away with that nasty piece of software called windows xp and installed Ubuntu Netbook Edition.  A quick download and placement on a USB stick and it was Live boot testing time.  After a quick test to confirm all hardware was supported I went straight to an install.

I did a little tweaking (adding flash, java, and video codecs) and then added some of my wifes basic software favorites and I'm off to the races.  After testing for a few hours I gave it the A+ rating and handed it off to her.

Joy has never used the Netbook Edition desktop interface so a brief tour was needed to explain the subtle nuances and she is now ready to battle the playing field.

All in all, I'd say it was a good day (computer-wise) in the house and I look forward to playing with the new toy whenever she will hand it off to me.

Goodnight All...

No comments: